Effects of electrical stimulation and exercise for swallowing problems in adults with multiple sclerosis
Type of Study/Intervention
Form of MS
This study is about investigating the effectiveness of electrical stimulation in treating swallowing problems in adults with MS. Research around electrical stimulation suggests that there is considerable potential for participants of this project to improve their functional swallowing abilities and hence improving quality of life and emotional wellbeing. The study involves an assessment of the participant’s swallowing function, completion of questionnaires, and six treatment sessions with electrical stimulation. The participants will be reimbursed for travel expenses ($40 per session).
- Adults with an existing diagnosis of MS
- Adults with self/family-report of swallowing difficulties
- Adults above the age of 18
- Concurrent neurological disease other than MS;
- Inability to give written informed consent because of cognitive impairment.
Dalal Alali- [email protected] 0423864828
Hans Bogaardt- [email protected]/ 02 9351 9334